Tuesday, September 6, 2016


Hey! I'm starting to adjust to life here is Tonga. Life has been pretty hard this week but I've endured and I'm ready for another week. I've had the chance to read the scriptures a lot this week and every time I'm feeling down I've always found comfort in the scriptures. I've really liked Joshua 1:9.

Just some random things about my life in Tonga:

1. My MQ (missionary quarters) is a 12x12 ft tiny house thing. It has a sink, fridge, desk, two beds, and a bathroom. Whats funny is that my MQ is way better than the other elders because it used to be a sisters MQ. I saw my first molo'kau( centipede) this week in our MQ, It wasn't that bad because it was a baby one and wasn't fast as lightning.  

2. Fafonga- I mentioned it last week but Fafongas are kind of like... the death of athleticism. I have to eat so much. To give food, money, etc. in Tonga is a blessing, so if you don't accept it you are kind of disrespecting them. It's funny because my companion talks to the families who fafonga us, and I have to eat which stinks because he's huge and I'm eating more than he is! The families usually give us anything. Honestly half the time I have no idea what's on my plate.  I just have changed my attitude and eat it all. 

3. On a normal day in Tonga we wake up, exercise, (usually lifting weights) shower, personal, companion, language study. Go to our first Fafonga. Go to members houses, or our ward missionary leader, and try and figure out people to teach. We usually go to scheduled activities with families who usually aren't there (flip). Missionary work is so different here in Tonga. One day we walked around our area 3 times! But then randomly we got a phone call that said, "hey we have somebody for you to baptize. So we went to teach a lesson and invited D, a 16 year old boy who's Catholic, to be baptized, but he wasn't able to because his mom would kick him out of the house. 

4. Another person we got to teach was A. She is 18-years-old, and used to be Catholic as well. We taught her the plan of salvation and she said she wanted to get baptized! We don't have a date yet but it's really exciting to get our first baptism in this area. 

5. We "taught" a Fijian lady who only spoke English. It was clear from the start she didn't really want a lesson but to Bible Bash. The funny part is I was going to say the prayer when I hear JESUS BLESSED BE YOUR NAME uttered, I swear 10,000 times, as loud as she could haha. It was a way different lesson but we are going to continue to go back every Wednesday. 


Life is Good in Tonga.

Love,
Elder Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment